The well groomed man should have a clear, clean complexion. In most cases, this will involve using products tailored to your skin type and its individual needs. Skin type is determined by how much or how little oil that the sebaceous glands in your skin produces. This can be a result of many factors including genetics, age, diet and exposure to the elements.
Want to know your skin type? Then follow this simple two step test:
1. Wash your face at night (and if possible with a soap-free cleanser) – do not moisturise.
2. In the morning carefully place a tissue over your face and press it firmly on the skin. Hold for a few seconds then remove and examine the tissue and consider your face.
- The tissue comes out clean.
- Skin does not feel taut or dry and skin does not feel oily.
- Complexion appears even-toned, skin is smooth with good elasticity and moisture.
- Skin texture is firm and pores are small in size.
- The tissue shows greasy patches all over.
- Both cheeks and nose areas often appear shiny.
- Easily prone to blackheads, white heads or blemishes.
- Skin texture typically appears thicker and firmer than normal skin. Pores are medium to large in size.
- The tissue comes out dry.
- Skin feels stretched and not particularly supple. May be dry or even rough to the touch.
- Face is easily irritated by external elements such as cold weather.
- May notice flakes on forehead and cheeks and uneven skin tone (due to build up of dead cells).
- Skin typically thin and dull with small pore size.
- The tissue shows greasy patches only around the nose, chin and forehead area ( T-zone)
- Cheeks feel normal or perhaps dry, but in contrast to the skin on the T-zone area which is oily.
- Skin is generally firm but shows symptoms of both dry and oily skin ( see above)
If you know your skin type you can buy the products that work for you. Now go back to our ‘tips’ sections and follow our three step guide to better skin. In the coming weeks and months we will update you with the latest products to add to your specific regime.